Today is National Pecan Day and we are pairing up a delicious recipe with an amazing organic coffee.
Before you dive into the pairing, check out these fun pecan facts from ILovePecans.org.
- Can you imagine a pecan skyscraper? It would take 11,624 pecans, stacked end to end, to reach the top of the Empire State Building in New York City.
- Pecans in space: it would take a line of over 10 billion pecans to reach the moon!
- That’s one heavy nut: it would take 5,640 pecan halves to equal the weight of a standard watermelon.
- Pecans come in a variety of sizes – mammoth, extra large, large, medium, small and midget. They also come in several forms including whole pecans, pecan halves, pieces, granules and meal.
- There are over 1,000 varieties of pecans. Many are named for Native American Indian tribes, including Cheyenne, Mohawk, Sioux, Choctaw and Shawnee.
- Some of the larger pecan shellers process 150,000 pounds of pecans each day. That’s enough to make 300,000 pecan pies!
- The U.S. produces about 80 percent of the world’s pecan crop.
DARE TO PAIR - Pecan Coffee Cake
THE COFFEE - Organic Coffee Company, Java Love
An exotic and syrupy blend of Indonesian and Latin American coffees.