This week and especially next Monday, we spend reflecting on and honoring those who have sacrificed their life in serving in our nation's military: a time-honored tradition on Memorial Day. But, how does one "honor" them? Here are 20 ways (in no particular order) to show your support, and honor the fallen and their families on this Memorial Day.
1. Thank a veteran, in person, on Twitter, or via Facebook.
2. Visit a military museum, memorial, or historic site.
3. Place an American flag or flowers on the gravestone of a veteran.
4. Upload an image of the American flag onto your Twitter and/or Facebook profile page for the day.
5. Observe the National Moment of Remembrance at 3 PM, local time, for 1 minute.
6. Educate our children as to why Memorial Day is important.
7. Wear your patriotic spirit proudly: badges, pins, shirts, hats, etc.
8. Post a tribute at the Gold Star Family Registry.
9. Post a message to the troops at the USO Website.
9. Share experiences with veterans at Make The Connection.
10. Fly your flag at half staff until noon and/or fly the POW/MIA flag.
11. Get involved with volunteer work to help the troops and their families at the National Resource Directory.
12. Show your appreciation on Twitter and comment with these hash tags:
13. Visit a Veterans hospital, or send a Care package to one.
14. Send a "Thank You" card to a Wounded Warrior via the Wounded Warrior Facebook page.
15. Set-up a Team USO Webpage at the Team USO Website.
16. Learn about your Military at the OurMilitary Website.
17. Send a Care package to a troop with Operation Gratitude.
18. Connect with overseas soldiers on the Adopt a US Soldier website.
19. Send some coffee to troops overseas with our Free Military Shipping for APO/FPO addresses.
20. Nominate a soldier for free coffee from Rogers Family Coffee.